Dr. Lukas Küng Research Associate
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Lukas is a mechanical engineer with a BSc and MSc from ETH Zurich, specialised in thermodynamics, energy conversion and renewable energy technologies. Following his studies, he completed a PhD in energy systems, where he focused on decarbonisation pathways of motorised transport. Lukas modelled and assessed various technological and behavioural options to reduce emissions, accounting for sector coupling effects. The results were different strategies for decision-makers to achieve climate goals, which went beyond existing emission policies.
Lukas has a background in data analysis and (data-driven) modelling of technologies, processes and system interactions. As a Research Associate at RCCS, Lukas is involved in the UK Industrial Decarbonisation Research and Innovation Centre (IDRIC). His work includes developing tools to design and assess decarbonisation options for the UK's largest industrial clusters. This entails CO2 capture and storage, CO2 utilisation, negative emission technologies, and switches to different energy vectors such as hydrogen and ammonia.
Lukas's main research areas are low carbon technology, transition paths, system modelling, techno-economic assessment, CO2 capture and utilisation.
- Küng, L.; Bütler, T.; Georges, G.; Boulouchos, K., Decarbonizing passenger cars using different powertrain technologies: Optimal fleet composition under evolving electricity supply. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2018, 95, 785-801, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2018.09.003
- Küng, L.; Bütler, T.; Georges, G.; Boulouchos, K., How much energy does a car need on the road? Applied Energy, 2019, 256, 113948, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113948
- Pareschi, G.; Küng, L.; Georges, G.; Boulouchos, K., Are travel surveys a good basis for EV models? Validation of simulated charging profiles against empirical data. Applied Energy, 2020, 275, 115318, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115318
- Held, M.; Küng, L.; Cabukoglu, E.; Pareschi, G.; Georges, G.; Boulouchos, K., Future mobility demand estimation based on sociodemographic information: A data-driven approach using machine learning algorithms. 18th Swiss Transport Research Conference (STRC 2018), 2018, https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-b-000266653
- Cabukoglu, E.; Georges, G.; Küng, L.; Pareschi, G.; Boulouchos, K., Battery electric propulsion: An option for heavy-duty vehicles? Results from a Swiss case-study. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2018, 88, 107-123, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2018.01.013