Dr. Spyridon Foteinis Research Associate
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Office: DB 2.65
Spyros is a chartered (Technical Chamber of Greece) Environmental Engineer with long experience both in the industry and academia. He obtained a 5-year diploma (BEng/MEng equivalent) in Environmental Engineering from the Technical University of Crete, Greece in 2006. In 2009 he obtained two MScs and in 2014 his PhD from the same institution, having a career break in 2010 to fulfil his compulsory military service. While studying he also worked at several large consortium-based research projects and also delivered lectures and laboratory classes. After the completion of his PhD studies, he secured funding, as the PI, from the “IKY-Siemens Programme” to continue his research on sustainable wave energy harnessing in the Greek Seas. From 2016 to 2020 he worked as a senior engineer in the renewable energy industry (PPC Renewable SA, Athens, Greece), being involved in several projects that worth in total well over €100M. At the same time, he also kept an active academic background, by being an external research associate at The University of Cyprus, The University of Edinburgh, The University of Southern California, and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (South Africa). In 2020 he joined Heriot-Watt University, working on the OceanNETs project.
His main research areas are environmental sustainability, life cycle assessment, coastal engineering, analytical chemistry.
- S. Foteinis, E. Chatzisymeon, A. Litinas, T. Tsoutsos. Used-cooking-oil biodiesel: Life cycle assessment and comparison with first-and third-generation biofuel. Renewable Energy, 153 (2020) 588-600.
- S. Foteinis. The disposable paper cup environmental bane. How small daily choices play a huge role in climate change. Journal of Cleaner Production, 255 (2020) 120294.
- V Masindi, E Chatzisymeon, I Kortidis, S Foteinis. Assessing the sustainability of acid mine drainage (AMD) treatment in South Africa, Science of the Total Environment 635 (2018), 793-802.
- S Foteinis, AGL Borthwick, Z Frontistis, D Mantzavinos, E Chatzisymeon. Environmental sustainability of light-driven processes for wastewater treatment applications, Journal of Cleaner Production 182 (2018), 8-15.
- S. Foteinis, J.M Monteagudo, A. Durán and E. Chatzisymeon. Environmental sustainability of the solar photo-Fenton process for wastewater treatment and pharmaceuticals mineralization at semi-industrial scale, Science of the Total Environment, 612 (2018), 605–612.
- S Foteinis. Bitcoin's alarming carbon footprint, Nature 554 (7691) (2018), 169-169.