Dr. Xuesong Lu Research Associate
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Office: DB 2.65
Xuesong received his bachelor degree and master degree from Beijing University of Chemical Technology in 1993 and Northwest University (China) in 1996. He obtained two PhDs from Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2000 and University of Cambridge in 2017.
From 2000 to 2005, he worked for the project of the reinstallation of the pilot-scale experimental platform for a gas-solid two-phase flow system and the national 863 project of China on coal topping (fast pyrolysis). From 2005 to 2011, as a research assistant and a research associate, he worked for the EPSRC project on ultrasonic microfeeding of dry powders, the Leverhulme trust project on extrusion freeforming to fabricate the (sub) millimetre wave bandgap photonic crystals and the TSB project on the new type of sodium nickel chloride battery for electrical vehicles in Queen Mary, University of London and University College London. From 2016 to 2018, he worked for the EPSRC project on the process intensification for post-combustion carbon capture using rotating packed bed through systems engineering techniques. His main work was CFD modelling of CO2 absorption by liquid amine in the rotating packed bed. In 2019, he worked for the project on the reactive extrusion 3D printing of polyurea, which was sponsored by PPG Inc. and the EPSRC project of formulation for 3D printing.
Currently, Xuesong is a research associate at the Research Centre for Carbon Solutions (RCCS) at Heriot-Watt University. His research study will focus on CFD modelling of the CO2 utilisation processes, particularly on the CO2 photoreduction process.
His main research areas are CO2 capture and utilisation, CFD modelling, multiphase reaction processes, additive manufacturing.
- X. Lu., P. Xie, D.B. Ingham, L. Ma, M. Pourkashanian, Modelling of CO2 absorption in a rotating packed bed using an Eulerian porous media approach, Chem. Eng. Sci. 199 (2019) 302-318.
- P. Xie, X. Lu, H. Ding, X. Yang, D.B. Ingham, L. Ma, M. Pourkashanian, A mesoscale 3D CFD analysis of the liquid flow in a rotating packed bed, Chem. Eng. Sci. 199 (2019) 528-545.
- X. Lu, P. Xie, D.B. Ingham, L. Ma, M. Pourkashanian, A porous media model for CFD simulations of gas-liquid two-phase flow in rotating packed beds, Chem. Eng. Sci. 189 (2018) 123-134.
- P. Xie, X. Lu, X. Yang, D.B. Ingham, L. Ma, M. Pourkashanian, Characteristics of liquid flow in a rotating packed bed for CO2 capture: A CFD analysis, Chem. Eng. Sci. 172 (2017) 216-229.
- X. Lu, C.M. Boyce, S.A. Scott, J.S. Dennis, D.J. Holland, Investigation of two-fluid models of fluidisation using magnetic resonance and discrete element simulations, Procedia. Eng. 102 (2015) 1436-1445.
- X. Lu, Y. Lee, S. Yang, Y. Hao, J.R.G. Evans, C.G. Parini, Solvent-based paste extrusion solid freeforming, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 30 (2010) 1-10.